Tuesday, April 9, 2013

kale as well as broke ovum toasted bread

spinach and smashed egg toast

What do you make yourself for lunch, if nobody else is around? I bet you're hoping I'm going to say something ambitious, like "a gently poached chicken breast, cooled and sliced across a vegetable salad with a hand-whisked vinaigrette," because that happens, ever. Or maybe you're hoping that this is where I tell you about my secret peanut butter fluff with crumbled potato chip sandwich habit, alas, I'm not even interesting enough at lunchtime to be scandalous. The sad truth is, if I've by some miracle found a couple hours to get work done in relative peace, I'm ecstatic, and I find hunger an inconvenience. If I must succumb, whatever I make for lunch must be quick, and tends to fall into the Stuff On Bread category: avocado, olive oil, lemon and sea salt, peanut butter (always low-brow) and jam (always fancy), or, smashed soft egg.

bread, spinach, dijon, shallot, goat cheese, eggs
minced shallot

I made a big fuss about poaching eggs a few years ago because I loved them but had a hard time getting them right at home. Once I did, I was triumphant, but nevertheless, have probably not made one in over a year, or not since I discovered that there's an even simpler route to that cooked-white-loose-yolk-soft-edge nirvana. Soft-boiled eggs require no vinegar, no teeming water and no whirlpools, but they peel like a dream. My favorite way to eat them is broken open on toasted and buttered whole-grain bread, sprinkled with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.

two ounces of baby spinach 

 

FACEBOOK COMMENT